Continent, one of the larger continuous masses of land, namely, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia, listed in order of size. (Europe and Asia are sometimes considered a single continent, Eurasia.
There is great variation in the sizes of continents; Asia is more than five times as large as Australia. The largest island in the world, Greenland, is only about one-fourth the size of Australia. The continents differ sharply in their degree of compactness. Africa has the most regular coastline and, consequently, the lowest ratio of coastline to total area. Europe is the most irregular and indented and has by far the highest ratio of coastline to total area.
The Continents are not distributed evenly over the surface of the globe. If a hemisphere map centred in northwestern Europe is drawn, most of the world’s land area can be seen to lie within that hemisphere. More than two-thirds of the Earth’s land surface lies north of the Equator, and all the Continents except Antarctica are wedge shaped, wider in the north than they are in the south.
The distribution of the continental platforms and Ocean basins on the surface of the globe and the distribution of the major land form features have long been among the most intriguing problems for Scientific investigation and theorizing
Here i have listed Some Important Questions related to Continent that generally ask in any Competitive examination
1. Which is the Second biggest continent of the world ?
2. Which is the highest Mountain of Africa ?
3. Which is the biggest desert of the world ?
=>Sahar Desert (Africa)
4. Which is the longest river of the world ?
5. Which is the biggest country of the Africa ?
=>Sudan (2,503,890 sq.km)
6. Which is the smallest country of Africa ?
=>Seychelles (451 sq.km)
7. Which continent is known as New world ?
8. Who was the founder of North America ?
=>Colombus (in 1942 A.D)
9. Which is the biggest grassland of the world ?
10. Which is the biggest country of North America ?
=>Canada (9,984,670 sq.km)
11. Which is the smallest country of North America ?
=>Saint Kitts (269 sq.km)
12. Which is the longest Mountain Range of the u>world ?
=>Andes (7000 km) (South America )
13. Which capital city is situated at the highest Altitude ?
=>La-Paz of Bolivia (3658 km above from see level) (South America)
14. Which is the fourth biggest continent of the world ?
15. Which is the fifth Biggest continent of the world ?
16. Which continent is known as ice sheet ?
17. How much percent of total Ice of the world is in Antarctica continent ?
=>90 % Ice and 70% fresh Water of earth
18. Which continent was found at last ?
19.Which is the sixth biggest continent of the world ?
20. Which is the smallest continent of the world ?
< History of the World >
You must log in to post a comment.